Sunday 28 November 2010

Programme of study progress

Research Poster

I began this course wanting to explore the potential of 3D animation as an art form and developed into how to create a particular mood or atmosphere through the design of an environment using 3D graphics. I quickly learned that lighting and colours played as an important row as well as the actually modeling and texturing of an given world created using 3D graphics. I began to break down the different elements that i could study and bring together to apply to my final project. In this case will be a 3D animation, although could have also been the development of an environment for a computer game.

Cinematography-
As i explained in a previous post understanding the elements that make up cinematography are fundamental to my programme of study. That is learning how to use light, colour and camera movement to set up my scene. I began with photography projects concentrating on depth of field and framing. This was mainly to get a better understanding of how to use aperture and shutter speeds. The same elements are used to control a camera with a 3D software package such as Maya. This lead to me looking into artists like Gregory Crewdson for his amazing ability to tell a story through lighting. I have been reading into some books on cinematography in live-action film making and 3D animation and contrasting the two. However it is important to actually be on set to help out on a live-action film so i have made contact with a local cinematographer. I am hoping i'll get to help him out on one of his film projects by next semester.

Concept Work-
Before i begin work on creating an environment i need to start drawing up concept work. This can be a blueprint used in 3D space or just as a guide. Personally i refer to use the concept as a guide which allows design to be developed during the modeling process as well. I have begun some sketch work but only some ideas to play around with rather than towards a final project. I find Syd Mead's work interesting from a creative point of view but also the mathematical structure. A story from the final animation is still in progress but once it is finalised i can begin to question how the environment should look.

3D graphics-
Since starting the course i have completed a tutorial on designing a beetle using only Nurbs and i finished modeling and uv mapping a cryolab. I still have to finish texturing and lighting which will be completed over the Christmas break. I have begun to work on my own environments taking the knowledge from the tutorials as well as testing out some new techniques. I will be posting up my own work in the next week. I have also began work on blocking a house for a forthcoming arts council project.

Final Project-
A three minute short 3D animation working in collaboration with other students. I have been working with Adam to develop a story but is still a work in progress. The story wont be finished till sometime during the Christmas holidays. Then work will begin on concept work, story boarding and blocking out a 3D animatic which is planned to be completed by the first week back to semester one.

No comments:

Post a Comment